Charlotte the Roval

TPF Home Forums Touring / Stockcars & Rallying NASCAR Charlotte the Roval

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rapierman 6 months ago.

• Author

Rapierman
    Participant

This year, the Charlotte Motor Speedway will host round 3 of the NASCAR Playoffs, the Bank of America 500, on a “roval” design where they actually created a road course inside their 1.5 mile quad-oval. I’ve had a look at a satellite image via Wikipedia. Quite frankly, I just don’t see how that’s going to work out. The first turn right off the front straight cuts right across the pit lane just before it normally enters the track.

This can’t be good.

The pic is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Motor_Speedway#/media/File:Lowesmotorspeedway.jpg

What do y’all think?

The Weight Transfer

It’s not as good as going to an actual road course but at least its something different.

The Weight Transfer

Tom Firth
    Keymaster

They’ve added a few more twisty bits since but the basic points at which the road section meets the oval are the same as have been since IMSA GTP and latterly ALMS raced on Charlottes road course.

Basically for pit exit, the cars take a 90 degree bend on pit road and go down the side before exiting into T2 of the road course. By what “The Weight Transfer” posted above, this is now covered by Armco. Back in 2000 when ALMS did it, they basically had cones.

It should be alright as a race, always was in IMSA’s races and the extra twisty bits NASCAR have put in should help somewhat more. Just don’t expect it to be as good as say a proper road course like Watkins Glen is.

subcritical71
    Participant

The pic is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Motor_Speedway#/media/File:Lowesmotorspeedway.jpg

What do y’all think?

Nice that NASCAR is getting more road courses in. For me the typical D shaped ovals are getting a bit bland (with some notable exceptions). As for the Charlotte roval, I was able to drive the course as part of a track tour about 2 years ago and I could have sworn there were some elevation changes that are not apparent on the linked pictures… Nothing major, but I thought at the time they were overpass type changes… Am I just remembering wrong?

Rapierman
      Participant

Certainly nothing like Watkins Glen. There’s a few road courses around that could have used a NASCAR event like Sears Point or Road America.

Tom Firth
        Keymaster

Sears Point (Sonoma) already hosts a NASCAR ‘Cup’ event every year.

Rapierman
    Participant

Oh, yes, I keep thinking of it as “Sonoma”. :P ….and I suspect I was trying to think “Sebring” instead. God, I’m old.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.