New Teams

TPF Home Forums Indycar Indycar Series New Teams

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Tom Firth 9 months ago.

• Author

Tom Firth
    Keymaster

So Indycar has three new teams joining for next year, well two of them have competed in the 500 before but are effectively new.

Those are Carlin Racing, who are one of, if not the best of Europe’s junior single seater teams, Harding racing which is entering after a really strong run in the Indy 500 last year for a new team and Juncos who are at present looking at a one car team with multiple drivers.

The Weight Transfer
    Participant

Looks like IndyCar will maintain its full season car count with the 2 Carlin entries and the Harding car making up for the 2 lost Ganassi cars and Penske’s 1 car downsizing.

After having all the full time entries filled before the new year last season its good to see things back to normal (everybody laugh) with Coyne’s final seat still open to the biggest check.
    By the way Tom, what’s the story on Jordan King, the new hire at Ed Carpenter Racing. He was described as a less-talented version of Stefano Coletti in a question in Robin Millers Mailbag on RACER.

Tom Firth
    Keymaster

From what I worked out last week, we should be +1 on car count when everything is settled for the full season and +3 on car count for St pete as some teams are running cars at St pete that didn’t at that stage in the season last year.

With regards Jordan King. I think he’s an alright driver, has had enough podiums in European F3 and GP2 to be given a fair shot at Indycar on road courses. Is he the next big thing? I don’t think so but think the criticism around his appointment is a bit harsh myself, end of the day his background is comparable with a number of other drivers who have found a home in Indycar down the years.

The Weight Transfer
      Participant

Yeah, after I posted I realized that RLL added a car for Takuma Sato.

The Weight Transfer
    Participant

Not that they’re a new team but Dreyer & Reinbold Racing has purchased 2 new chassis from Dallara, aiming to run 2 entries at the 500(the team that looks set to run Danica in her final race) and looking to add more races after Indy if the money is there.

The Weight Transfer
    Participant

Jimmy Vasser and James Sullivan will be teaming up with Dale Coyne to aid in operating Sebastien Bourdais’ #18 Honda with backing in 9 events from SealMaster, referred to now as Dale Coyne Racing with Vasser-Sullivan.
    Today it was also announced that Zachary Claman De Melo and Pietro Fittipaldi will contest the full season, sharing DCR’s #19 car with 10 events going to Zachary and 7 to Pietro, unknown where each driver will be appearing.

DCR-VS #18

The Weight Transfer
    Participant

We also have a sponsor for Scott Dixon’s #9 car for Chip Ganassi Racing.
    Good news for Ganassi as now both cars have funding for the full season.
    CGR #9

Tom Firth
    Keymaster

Yeah, sorry for the absence, broken computer… anyway yeah it’s good the grid is now full and we’ve had a test session with some real data deom Phoenix, started to see how things are working with the new packages etc.

Good that Ganassi has a sponsor for Dixon, not a fan of the livery, but a title sponsor is a title sponsor so can’t complain too much. Ed Jones slightly revised NTT DATA livery is much better on the #10

I definitely miss that iconic target livery on the #9 especially on these new cars but happy Dixon sponsorship secured.

It’s also good that Vasser and Sullivan are backing Bourdais DCR effort. Secures his future at Coyne for a bit too.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.