In qualifying for the 64th Annual 12 Hours of Sebring, Michael Shank Racing’s Olivier Pla claimed pole position piloting the Ligier JS P2 HPD Honda, ahead of the ESM Ligier JS P2 HPD Honda, piloted in the session by Pipo Derani.
A somewhat surprising pole position by MSR, given the car was damaged heavily in an accident for John Pew in a practice session yesterday and rebuilt overnight. Not to mention the strength of the DP Corvette entrants who had been fastest in all four of the events practice sessions.
In the PC class, it was Colin Braun who claimed pole position with CORE Autosport, whilst in GTLM, it was a 1-2 for the BMW RLL M6 with Bill Auberlen leading John Edwards in qualifying.
In the GTD class, it was a class pole for the new Ferrari 488 GT3 and Scuderia Corsa, driven in the session by Jeff Segal. The race is the first event in the USA in which the Ferrari 488 in GT3 spec will compete as well as been on the first weekend of competition internationally for the Ferrari 488 GT3.
The top 3 in each class in qualifying
1. Ozz Negri/John Pew/Olivier Pla – #60 Michael Shank Racing Liger JS P2 Honda.
2. Scott Sharp/Johannes Van Overbeek/Ed Brown/Pipo Derani – #2 Tequila Patron ESM Ligier JS P2 Honda
3. Dane Cameron/Eric Curran/Scott Pruett #31 Action Express Racing Corvette DP
1. Colin Braun/Jonathan Bennett/Marc Wilkins – #54 CORE Autosport Oreca FLM09
2. Tom Kimber-Smith/Jose Gutierrez/Robert Alon – #52 PR1 Mathiesen Motorsports Oreca FLM09
3. Johnny Mowlem/Don Yount/Marc Drumwright – #20 BAR1 Motorsports Oreca FLM09
1. Bill Auberlen/Dirk Werner/Bruno Spengler #25 BMW RLL BMW M6 GTE
2. John Edwards/Lucas Luhr/Kuno Wittmer #100 BMW RLL BMW M6 GTE
3. Alessandro Pier Guidi/Daniel Serra/Andrea Bertolini #68 Scuderia Corsa Ferrari 488 GTE
1. Christina Nielsen/Alessandro Balzan/Jeff Segal #63 Scuderia Corsa Ferrari 488 GT3
2. Ben Keating/Jeroen Bleekemolen/Marc Miller #33 Riley Motorsports Viper GTS-R
3.Brett Curtis/Jens Klingmann/Ashley Freiberg #96 Turner Motorsports BMW M6 GT3.
The race starts tomorrow 1030am ET on Fox Sports 1 continuing throughout on the Fox Sports family of channels. Internationally the race is available on IMSA.com.