If you keep asking Lewis Hamilton about Nico Rosberg’s retirement, it seems he’ll keep coming up with new ways to have a dig at the 2016 World Champion. Lewis said:
“It’s a shame that he’s not around to fight to take it back,” three-time champion Hamilton said.
“That’s his choice and I respect his decision. Go out on top while you can.
“I have a different viewpoint. I won the championship the past two years and I gave an opportunity each year to have another shot at it for someone.
“That’s how I am. I consistently believe in my ability and what I can do each year so even if I was to win again, most likely I would give another opportunity.
“I love racing and I love going out there and being challenged by different competitors.
“We’ve been racing for 18 years so it’s not the worst scenario for me.”
Oddly, it seems that Lewis is the driver who is having the more difficult time dealing with the world title win and sudden retirement by Rosberg. For Nico, he won and is now looking to do something else with his career which is certainly his right. Defending a title is not obligatory nor does it make you any less deserving of the title you have.
In defense of Lewis, the questions keep coming to him so the more the press seek his comments, the more he’s sharing them. Lewis doesn’t like being beaten and perhaps he’d like to chance to repay Nico by wresting the title away from him but that chance, it seems, is not going to happen.
Who to hire?
As for Nico’s replacement, speculation is flying with Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Max Verstappen, Carlos Sainz, Sergio Perez, Pascal Wehrlein and more being suggested. Mercedes boss Toto Wolff said:
“It’s not my intention to interfere with Ferrari’s internal issues,” Wolff told Gazzetta Dello Sport.
“And I don’t even know if Sebastian really has the intention to come to us.
“It’s the same thing [with Alonso]: what would Ferrari and McLaren do without Vettel and Alonso in December?
“Or Williams without [Valtteri] Bottas? [That] option is the one I like the least.”
However Wolff did concede his phone had been running hot since Friday’s news.
“I’ve been bombarded with phone calls,” he said.
“I’ve been called by 80% of the F1 drivers. Who hasn’t done so, [Kimi] Raikkonen and [Daniil] Kvyat, didn’t just because they don’t have my number!”
Time will tell but right now, just about everyone is being offered as a possible candidate to drive with Lewis at Mercedes.
Hat Tip: AUTOSPORT