McLaren suddenly drops protest against Racing Point

0
Esteban Ocon (FRA) Renault F1 Team RS20. 70th Anniversary Grand Prix, Sunday 9th August 2020. Silverstone, England.

When the FIA announced the findings of its investigation into the protest lodged by Renault over Racing Points brake ducts, the responses were mixed in the paddock. Racing Point released a scripted video with team owner Lawrence Stroll explain ing how mad he was at the accusations that the team cheated. Others thought the punishment was too lenient while others felt it was fitting.

Four teams (McLaren, Ferrari, Williams and Renault) all protested the results saying that it was not harsh enough and some explaining that Racing Point shouldn’t be allowed to continue with the brake ducts they have.

The regulations were set that the protesting teams had 96 hours to formalize their appeal and so far, Renault and Ferrari have agreed to take the matter to the International Court of Appeals. This leaves Williams, who said they will say something on Wednesday and McLaren. McLaren has backed out.

Telling Adam Cooper over Autosport:

“McLaren Racing has decided not to appeal the decisions of the FIA Stewards in relation to Renault’s protests of Racing Point.

“The team welcomes the Stewards’ decisions and findings in this case and importantly that the FIA has demonstrated that transgressions of the rules will be investigated and punished.

“Moreover, McLaren Racing is pleased that the FIA will further clarify the sporting and technical regulations to protect Formula 1 as a sport where teams are clearly defined as Constructors, and removes the potential that the Formula 1 World Championship includes cars that are, in effect, copies of other competitors’.

“Taking the above and a broad view of all factors into account, McLaren Racing will not continue with an appeal in this case.

“Additionally, McLaren Racing respects the decisions of Ferrari and Renault to pursue their appeals and will follow proceedings with interest.”

Andreas Seidl said there was no impact on the relationship between McLaren and Mercedes just yesterday.

“[There is] absolutely no bad blood between us and Mercedes,” Seidl said.

“We have a great relationship anyway with Toto, with Mercedes, with the guys from Brixworth preparing for next year.

“In the end, the case which is on at the minute, is with Racing Point and not Mercedes.”

It probably doesn’t take a Neon sign to point towards the connections between McLaren and Mercedes. Merc supplies Racing Point and will supply McLaren next year and as an implicated partner in this entire situation, probably best to bow out and make life easier for Mercedes and Racing Point.

An interesting move as Racing Point is competitive with McLaren and in any of universe, they would be sticking with Renault and Ferrari but despite being beaten by Racing Point and challenged for best-of-the-rest in 2020, they are willing to drop the case. Oh, and if Williams back out, we’ll see just how staunch that anti-customer car stance Sir Frank has…keep in mind they’ve protested customer cars from day one and yet, they too are a customer of Mercedes so which is more important, Frank?

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments