According to a report at Sky Sports F1, the McLaren team suffered a fire in their garage that sent team members to the hospital. Three mechanics were treated for injuries due to the fire in the team’s garage according to a team spokesperson:
“There was a small fire in the garage during the team’s private filming day,” said a McLaren spokesperson.
“The fire was quickly extinguished by the team and circuit emergency services, and medical teams attended immediately in support.
“Three team members were taken to the medical center for treatment and released shortly after.”
The team had stayed in Barcelona after this week’s testing to engage in one of their “filming” days with both drivers, Lando Norris and Carlos Sainz. The team said people were injured but none seriously.
I hope this isn’t a big setback for next week’s testing and I am curious if this was a battery fire. I’m also curious if the FIA and press will discuss it at length if it was. We’ll wait and see what is reported as to the cause of the fire.
Hat Tip: Sky Sports F1