Let’s pretend shall we? It’s a new season and the Formula 1 championship is transcending time and space like a Star Trek Next generation episode and in my case, replete with Captain Picard hair styling but that’s how Dr. Ulrich and I roll.
You can look back through time and pick the ten F1 teams you would like to have on your grid for this imaginary season. Which teams would you pick? You can base it on performance, panache, resources, color the car, team bosses, drivers, engines…whatever.
- Ferrari- because they are Ferrari and no season should be ran without them.
- McLaren- Because no season should be without Ronspeak
- Williams- Because who doesn’t love them some Sir Frank?
- Jordan- Because Eddie kept F1 cheeky and fun and we need yellow cars again.
- Lotus- The real Lotus with Colin and maybe even in Gold Leaf colors for a change.
- Sauber- Because Peter is a true racer like Sir Frank.
- Tyrrell- Because a season with a proper froth job from Ken is awesome!
- Brabham- Because HISTORY man! Bernie owned them!
- Hesketh- Because a chubby, wealthy Brit running a team is just perfect for the series.
- Benetton- Love the spunk and grit and while Arrows or Toleman would be right there, I give the nod to Benetton. Including my buddy Steve Matchett of course.
Just in case these new engines would force one of these teams into bankruptcy, like F1 is want to do, I would offer the following as a potential stand-in for any team that couldn’t make the grid:
- Red Bull circa 2007- Because before the got their big boy pants on, they were pissing off entire countries like France.