We’re only three weeks away from the season openers for the Verizon IndyCar Series and the entire Mazda Road to Indy program at St. Petersburg, FL. IndyCar has been testing down at Phoenix, and is experimenting with a windscreen solution to the cockpit intrusion problem, a very different solution than Formula 1’s halo system. The Mazda Road to Indy grids are starting to fill, but only very slowly. We’re hoping for a late surge of team and driver announcements in the coming weeks.
Show notes and links
- Aero screen test with Dixon, discussion on our thoughts around this.
- Phoenix testing – combined results & discussion.
- Fittipaldi and Clamen De Melo confirmed for final full season seat with Coyne.
- Vasser and Sullivan back Bourdais.
- Danica confirmed for Ed Carpenter Racing for the Indy 500. Impact?
Three weeks out and car counts and team counts are still very low
- Healthiest with six teams and 14 drivers.
- Where are Cape Motorsport and Arms Up?
- Pro Mazda
- Six teams and 10 drivers.
- Pelfry with only one confirmed. Will they have a full complement of three cars by St. Pete?
- Indy Lights
- Only four teams and seven drivers.
- Three open slots at Belardi and one at Juncos.
- Where are Carlin and Pelfry?