Tonight, we sift through the rubble after the mayhem that went down at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. Alexander Rossi, super aggressive in qualifying and super smooth during the race, dominated the weekend, but newcomers Ed Jones and Zach Veach also yield impressive results. Ryan Hunter-Reay has a race he’d rather forget, and Bourdais makes the pass of the decade. Lastly, we wish John “Bon voyage!” as he gets set to head to the Barber Motorsport Park for next weekend’s IndyCar and Mazda Road to Indy races.
We’d also like to extend a warm welcome to photographer extraordinaire, the Reverend of the Church of All Things Racy Goodness, Scott James. Scott joins us as our West Coast photographer and will be at Sonoma for us this year, and we thank him for his willingness to share his amazing talent with us.
Show notes and links
Long Beach Qualifying
- Round 1 / Group 1
- Graham sports the new Total livery
- Round 1 / Group 2
- Rossi aggressive out of the pits passes Power and Pagenaud
- Kaiser understeers into the wall, breaks half-shaft. Debris flag.
- Round 2
- Rossi super aggressive out of the pits again! Pags and Power was a penalty.
- RHR violates the blend line rule and is penalized.
- Wickens pits on final lap and is done. Surprising.
- Firestone Fast Six
- Rossi changes tack and sits in pits while everyone else goes out.
- Power brushes the T9 wall, but no damage
- Newgarden slaps the same wall and bends his left rear suspension.
- Rossi finally goes out and CRUSHES everyone by half a second.
Long Beach Race
- The Start
- Rossi leaves the field behind.
- WTH Rahal?
- RHR pits for a new wing.
- Electrical gremlins ruin Wickens day. GCU at fault?
- Bourdais executes what was the greatest pass since Zanardi on Unser in the Corkscrew
- Rossi pits on L56 for blacks and is good to go to the end.
- Claman de Melo finds the wall to bring out a FCY. Bourdais and Dixon caught entering a closed pit.
- Veach and Jones have quietly worked their way up to the front, P5 and P3, respectively.
- Jordan King bumps Bourdais in the hairpin triggering the final FCY.
- Final Results
- Championship Standings
- MRTI back in action!
- Weekend Schedule
- Track Map